Osawatomie in Miami County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Old Stone Church
One of the first churches in Kansas, this church was built by a Congregationalist group and is typical of the church structures built during pioneering days in Kansas. It was dedicated to public worship in 1861, and its first pastor was the Reverend Samuel L. Adair brother-in-law of John Brown, the famous abolitionist.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Location. 38° 30.023′ N, 94° 57.065′ W. Marker is in Osawatomie, Kansas, in Miami County. Marker is on 6th Street north of Parker Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 6th Street, Osawatomie KS 66064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old Stone Church (a few steps from this marker); Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Potawatomi Trail of Death (within shouting distance of this marker); John Brown Country (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Land Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pat Devilin and "Jayhawk" (about 600 feet away); Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Brown Statue (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Osawatomie.
Also see . . . John Brown Museum State Historic Site KS.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Churches, Etc. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.