Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in Bradley County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Cleveland During the Civil War

Struggle for Control

 
 
Cleveland During the Civil War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 28, 2013
1. Cleveland During the Civil War Marker
Inscription. When the Civil War began, Cleveland was a divided community with most residents being sympathetic to the Union. Confederate troops occupied the area in 1861 to control the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad and to protect the vitally important Hiwassee River bridge. President Abraham Lincoln worried about the future of the railroad junction at Cleveland, but the town remained under Confederate occupation until 1863.

The first engagements between Confederate and Union troops in Bradley County occurred in the autumn of 1863 as part of the struggle for Chattanooga. The most destructive took place November 24-26 when Union Col. Eli Long’s brigade cut communications and transportation lines to Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg’s position at Missionary Ridge. Long severed railroad lines connecting Chattanooga to Knoxville and Dalton, destroyed the only copper-rolling mill in the South at Cleveland, and forced the Confederates to withdraw from the town. Long’s troops camped at the Cleveland Masonic Female Institute until they were attacked and withdrew to Chattanooga.

The Union victory at the Battle of Missionary Ridge on November 25, 1863, resulted in Federal troops controlling Bradley County for the rest of the war. From May to October 1864, a Union artillery unit was stationed in downtown. Cleveland, with the officers
Map on the lower left side of the marker. image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 28, 2013
2. Map on the lower left side of the marker.
establishing headquarter at the Raht house overlooking the railroad depot and the town. Union troops built Fort McPherson and Fort Sedgwick on the highest points here and successfully repelled Confederate Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s August 17, 1864, raid. The fortifications were located at Hilcrest Memorial Gardens on South Ocoee Street and Ft. Hill Cemetery on Worth Street.

“To take and hold the railroad at or east of Cleveland, Tennessee, I think is as fully as important as the taking and holding of Richmond.” —Abraham Lincoln, June 30, 1862

(captions)
Civil War Atlas, 1891
Col. Eli Long
Gen. James B. McPherson (1828-1864
Gen. John Sedgwick (1813-1864)
Images courtesy Library of Congress
 
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 35° 9.47′ N, 84° 52.426′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Tennessee, in Bradley County. Marker is at the intersection of Inman Street East (U.S. 64) and Parker Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on Inman Street East. Click for map. The marker is located at the Museum Center at Five Points. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Inman Street East, Cleveland TN 37311, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Cleveland During the Civil War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 28, 2013
3. Cleveland During the Civil War Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oak Grove Male Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lee College (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cooper Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); "Chief Jack" Walker (approx. 3.3 miles away); Charleston on the Hiwassee (approx. 10.9 miles away); Nancy Ward (approx. 11 miles away); The Henegar House (approx. 11.2 miles away); Red Clay Council Ground (approx. 11.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Museum Center at Five Points Gift Shop image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 28, 2013
4. Museum Center at Five Points Gift Shop
Cherokee Chieftan image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 28, 2013
5. Cherokee Chieftan
Sculpture by Peter Toth (1973) on the grounds of the Museum Center at Five Points.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement