Germantown in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Reﬂections of Old Germantown
This lane of trees once led to the Madeline Waters House, built by Lloyd Dorsey in 1902 (see historic marker on Wisteria Drive north of Maryland Route 118). This house was typical of villa-style homes built on the outskirts of rural railroad towns at the turn of the century.
When the Metropolitan Branch of the B&O Railroad was completed in 1873, houses immediately began to surround the little Germantown station. This rural railroad village was different than railroad suburbs like Kensington and Garrett Park because it was considered too far away at that time for commuting into Washington, D.C. Instead, Germantown Station catered to the local farmers, providing shelters along the tracks for milk cans, and a warehouse to store crates of fruit and bags of flour so that they could be easily transferred to the train. The businesses that grew up around the station included a carriage shop, two general stores, a harness maker, and a livery stable to provide transportation to the country side for tinkers (traveling salesmen/repairmen) and vacationers. A steam-powered flour mill was built next to the tracks in 1888, and a Presbyterian chapel in 1896.
The homes close to the station had larger lots than those usually found in railroad suburbs (1/2 to 1 acre) and were generally simpler in design. These were homes for the carpenters,
[Map of Germantown in 1922, and photo of houses in 1906]
Erected by Germantown Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) marker series.
Location. 39° 10.541′ N, 77° 16.153′ W. Marker is in Germantown, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Walter Johnson Road and Wisteria Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Walter Johnson Road. Click for map. Marker is one block east of Germantown Road (MD 118) - on the lawn off Walter Johnson Road, southeast of the Mid-Atlantic Credit Union Copying Center parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Germantown MD 20874, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Mill (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); To Honor the Memory of George A, (Jay) Chadwick Jr. (approx. Black Hill Gold Mine (approx. 1.9 miles away); Grusendorf Log House (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Woodlands (approx. 2.1 miles away); Middlebrook Mills (approx. 2.2 miles away); Watkins Mill (approx. 3 miles away); Dowden's Ordinary: The Elephant Comes to Clarksburg (approx. 4.2 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 285 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.