Ely in White Pine County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Ely - Forging the Link
The towns of eastern Nevada were joined during the late nineteenth century by a network of wagon roads. In 1913, the road through Ely was incorporated into the transcontinental Lincoln Highway, though it was not paved until 1922. Ely had over 2,000 residents and offered many services, making it an excellent stopping place on the long road across the Great Basin. When the copper industry declined during World War I, the struggling town turned to travelers for income.
The Lincoln Highway was designated US 50 in 1926. By mid-century the popularity of the Victory Highway, now Interstate 80, reduced US 50 to the status of "The Loneliest Road in America."
In addition to the Lincoln Highway, two other major national roadways converge
Erected by State of Nevada Historical Preservation Office. (Marker Number 269.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway marker series.
Location. 39° 14.892′ N, 114° 53.473′ W. Marker is in Ely, Nevada, in White Pine County. Marker is at the intersection of Aultman Street and 7th Street, on the left when traveling west on Aultman Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ely NV 89301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nevada Northern Railway (approx. ¾ mile away); Jedediah Strong Smith (approx. 4.1 miles away); Copper Country (approx. 4.6 miles away but has been reported missing); The Ward Cemetery (approx. 12.1 miles away); Ward Mining District (approx. 13.3 miles away); Taylor (approx. 13.3 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.