Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Delta in Millard County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Deseret Relief Society Hall

 
 
Deseret Relief Society Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 5, 2013
1. Deseret Relief Society Hall Marker
Inscription. The Relief Society in Deseret was first organized in September of 1877. This group of women met in each other's homes until 1878, when they had a large, one-room adobe hall built. In 1894 the members of the Relief Society decided they should construct a new Relief Society Hall. They began raising money for this building by donating and saving what they could. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints General Relief Society Board called for contributions to the building of the new General Relief Society Hall located in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Deseret Relief Society sent all of their funds, thus delaying their own building project.

The Deseret Relief Society ladies began again to plan for a hall. They sold their adobe building, land was donated, funds raised, and labor was volunteered by the men in the LDS Ward. Construction costs for the building were $743.65 and $21.00 for the outhouse. Relief Society meetings, socials, dances, and plays were held in the hall from 1906 until 1934, when the new chapel was completed.

The Hall is the oldest remaining LDS church building in the community. It has served many functions over the years. After the chapel burned in 1929, this hall was again used for church services. Public school classes were also held when the A.C. Nelson School burned. Boy Scouts used the hall for
Deseret Relief Society Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 5, 2013
2. Deseret Relief Society Hall Marker
their meetings for several years. The Deseret Irrigation Company bought this building and used it for meetings and storage. They deeded the building to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Fanny Powell Cropper Camp, on February 7, 1995. It is now used for DUP meetings and for the display of pioneer memorabilia.
 
Erected 2008 by Fanny Powell Cropper Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 553.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 17.347′ N, 112° 39.143′ W. Marker is near Delta, Utah, in Millard County. Marker is on Utah Route 257, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4365 South 4000 West, Delta UT 84624, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Deseret (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Deseret (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hinckley Schools (approx. 2.6 miles away); Millard Academy (approx. 2.7 miles away); Pioneer Cabin (approx. 5.9 miles away); McCullough Log House and Post Office
Deseret Relief Society Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 5, 2013
3. Deseret Relief Society Hall
(approx. 5.9 miles away); Escalante Trail (approx. 5.9 miles away); Topaz 1942–1946 (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Delta.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement