Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fillmore in Millard County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Little Rock Schoolhouse

 
 
Little Rock Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2007
1. Little Rock Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription. Fillmore was settled in 1851. Before the close of the first year the Pioneers had erected a log school room inside the fort. It had split logs for seats, a dirt roof and floor. In 1854 an adobe church was built which also served as school. In 1867 three small school buildings were erected. This is one of them. It was the first building financed by the taxpayers. Contractors, Dellie Webb & Ova Peterson, Builders: Horace & James Owens, Nat Baldwin, Lewis Tarbuck, John Ashman, James & Ralph Rowley, Hans & Christian Hanson, & John Powell.
 
Erected 1953 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 190.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 38° 58.022′ N, 112° 19.572′ W. Marker is in Fillmore, Utah, in Millard County. Marker is at the intersection of 100 West and 100 South, on the left when traveling south on 100 West. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fillmore UT 84631, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Land of the Yuta (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Utah’s First Capitol (about 400 feet away); Fillmore Pioneer Fort
Little Rock Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 5, 2013
2. Little Rock Schoolhouse Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Edward Partridge, Jr. House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capitol (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dominguez - Escalante Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fillmore's Adobe Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chief Walkara (approx. 6.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fillmore.
 
Additional comments.
1. Fillmore - Named for A President
Fillmore is located in central Utah. It is 148 miles south of Salt Lake City and 162 miles north of St. George, and considered the "last frontier" for growth in the state of Utah. The community was named by an act of the Utah Territorial Legislature signed by Brigham Young in 1851, honoring President Millard Fillmore. For a time, Fillmore was the territorial capital of Utah. The original Statehouse building stands today as the oldest existing governmental building in the state and is maintained by the State of Utah as a historic site and museum.
    — Submitted December 1, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
View of schoolhouse from the south. image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2007
3. View of schoolhouse from the south.
Front of Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2007
4. Front of Schoolhouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,521 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   3, 4. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement