“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sonora in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Rother's Corner

Rother's Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Wisehart, April 8, 2008
1. Rother's Corner Marker
Inscription. The corner property was originally called Patrick’s Corner, after George Washington Patrick, an early settler of Sonora and one of its first mayors. At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Patrick left Sonora to volunteer his services to the Confederate Army. Although he was refused a commission and did not serve in the army, he remained in the south until his death in 1886.

William Rother, Sr., acquired the property in 1870 at a sheriff’s sale. Rother was born in Germany in 1809, later coming to the United States and settling in Louisiana before coming to Sonora in 1857. He and his wife, Sophia Wilde, had seven children, five of whom were born in Sonora. After the death of the senior Rothers, their sons John and William continued to live in the home, William and his family upstairs and John and his family downstairs. John later moved from Rother’s Corner and William remained in the home until his death in 1928.

William Rother, Jr. was very active in the Eureka Engine Company, one of Sonora’s volunteer fire companies, which was located across the street from his home. He served as fire chief during most of the years from 1894 to 1911.

Rother’s Corner continued as a home to the Rother Family after the death of William. It wasn’t until the Union Oil Company acquired the property in 1954 that the buildings were
Rother's Corner image. Click for full size.
By Richard Wisehart, April 8, 2008
2. Rother's Corner
View is southerly. North Washington St., leading into downtown Sonora, is on the right. Elkins St. is just off the left edge of photo. Marker is in left middleground. Red, balconied building behind the marker is a fire museum. In the 1980's and 1990's the building was a 7-11 store.
torn down and Washington and Elkin Streets reconfigured. For over 80 years the corner property was referred to as Rother’s Corner.
Erected 2002 by Matuca Chapter No. 1849, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 6007.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 59.223′ N, 120° 23.052′ W. Marker is in Sonora, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is at the intersection of North Washington St. (State Highway 49) and Elkins Street, on the right when traveling north on North Washington St.. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sonora CA 95370, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sonora IOOF Lodge No. 10 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); -Yo- Semite House (about 400 feet away); Original Site of the Sonora Daily (about 500 feet away); Site of the First Office of The Union Democrat (about 600 feet away); Tuolumne County Albert N. Francisco Building (about 600 feet away); Tuolumne County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Veterans Memorial Building (about 700 feet away); A Portal of the Past (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sonora.
Categories. Charity & Public WorkNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
Red Church image. Click for full size.
By Richard Wisehart, April 9, 2008
3. Red Church
St. James Anglican Church, known locally as The Red Church, is located on the west side of North Washington Street across from Rother's Corner. The church, built in 1860, is a prominent landmark in downtown Sonora.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. This page has been viewed 1,651 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California.   3. submitted on , by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement