Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blountville in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Anderson Townhouse

 
 
Anderson Townhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 31, 2013
1. Anderson Townhouse Marker
Inscription. The log section of Anderson Townhouse was built in 1792/95. It housed the first town commissioners of Blountville: Richard Gammon (1750-1833), Major George Maxwell (1751-1821) and Colonel John Anderson (1750-1817). All these men served the American Revolution and held important civil offices. John Anderson, who lived and worked at the Townhouse when in Blountville on commissioner duties, was the owner of the well-known Blockhouse on the famed Wilderness Road. In addition to the town commissioners, the house has been home to a number of Presbyterian and Methodist ministers as well as Joseph Anderson, one of the founders of modern Bristol.

The kitchen burned about 1811. Successive owners by 1826 added the frame back wing and made general improvements in the interior.

As part of America’s Bicentennial Celebration, the house was purchased in 1974 by the Sullivan County Historical Commission with funds donated by individual clubs and businesses and a grant by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration.
 
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976.
 
Location. 36° 31.981′ N, 82° 19.549′ W. Marker is in Blountville, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Bristol Highway
Anderson Townhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 31, 2013
2. Anderson Townhouse Marker
west of Messengill Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blountville TN 37617, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Deery Inn (a few steps from this marker); Ralph Blizard (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old Deery Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cannonball House (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Blountville (within shouting distance of this marker); Sullivan County (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Blountville.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement