Near Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Battery Thomas (1898-1917)
The first of two rapid fire gun batteries, Battery Thomas was named in honor of Captain Evan Thomas, 4th U.S. Artillery, who was killed in action with the Modoc Indians at Lava Beds, California in 1873.
In March 1898, as the nation moved towards war with Spain, the Army rushed this battery into service. The concrete platforms were completed on April 26th and two 4.7” Rapid Fire Guns were installed on May 9, 1898. Capable of firing a 45 pound projectile six miles, these guns protected a minefield laid across the entrance of Mobile Bay from minesweepers.
A 1915 study warned that the battery, located on its high Mounds, was extremely vulnerable to enemy fire. The Army deactivated the battery in October 1917 and removed the guns. In 1919, one of the gun emplacements was converted into a Range Finding Station for Battery Schenck.
Location. 30° 13.74′ N, 88° 1.407′ W. Marker is near Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from Fort Morgan Road (State Road 180) 1.7 miles west of Dune Drive. Click for map. Located on the grounds of Fort Morgan State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Battery Schenck (1899-1923) (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Model 1918M1 155mm Gun and Model 1918A1 Carriage (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Bowyer War of 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); 6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle / 7” Brooke Rifle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Citadel (about 300 feet away); The Battle of Mobile Bay (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Battle of Mobile Bay (about 300 feet away); Citadel (1825-1865) (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Gulf Shores.
More about this marker. Battery Thomas is located to the right of the entrance into historic Fort Morgan.
Also see . . . Fort Morgan, Guardian On The Bay. (Submitted on October 29, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.