Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Allegan in Allegan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd

 
 
Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
1. Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd Marker
Inscription. On June 15, 1858, the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was organized; its parish was admitted into the Diocese of Michigan two years later. Built in 1866-69, this Gothic structure was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd and first used for Divine Service on Palm Sunday, March 21, 1869. Bishop McCoskry performed the rite of consecration on April 8 of that same year. In 1886 the parishioners purchased the present tracker organ which is still in use and one of the few such organs left in this state today.
 
Erected 1979 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L242.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 31.682′ N, 85° 51.167′ W. Marker is in Allegan, Michigan, in Allegan County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and Hubbard Street, on the right when traveling south on Walnut Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Walnut Street, Allegan MI 49010, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allegan Civil War Monument (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Allegan County (about
Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
2. Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd Marker
500 feet away); Welcome to Allegan (approx. 0.2 miles away); James E. Mahan Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Second Street Bridge (approx. mile away); Welcome to Pine Creek (approx. 7.8 miles away); Hopkins Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.1 miles away); Welcome to the Village of Hopkins (approx. 8.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Allegan.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
3. Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd
At the intersection of Walnut Street and Hubbard Street
Church Foundation Stone image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
4. Church Foundation Stone
"This stone is from the original foundation of the Church of the Good Shepherd, laid down in the Year of our Lord 1867."
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement