Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Battery Dearborn (1900-1924)
Constructed between 1899 and 1900, the battery was named in honor of Major General Henry Dearborn, a Revolutionary War hero. The battery mounted eight 12” breech-loading mortars. Each mortar weighed 13 tons and was 11’ 9” long. The battery’s mortars did not fire directly at a target, but rather into one of eight “zones.” Different weights of projectiles and powder charges were used in each zone. Projectiles weighted between 824 and 1046 pounds and were propelled by powder charges weighing between 54 and 62 pounds. Maximum range for each mortar was seven miles.
Thirty-one men were assigned to each mortar. A gun detachment of twelve men fired the mortar while nineteen men, the ammunition detachment, brought projectiles and powder from the magazines. In May 1918, the Army removed two of the mortars from each pit for use by American Forces in France during WWI. The battery was deactivated in 1924; however, the four remaining mortars would remain in place until 1942 when they were scrapped for the war effort of WWII.
Location. 30° 13.784′ N, 88° 0.735′ W. Marker is in Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from Fort Morgan Road (State Road 180) one mile west of Dune Drive, on the left when traveling Click for map. Located on the grounds of Fort Morgan State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peace Magazine (1902-1924) (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Damn The Torpedoes!" The Campaigns for Mobile, 1864 - 1865 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Officer’s Row (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Battery Lincoln (approx. 0.4 miles away); "The Shells Were Bursting All Around Us" (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Pride of Seven Flags (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Overland Campaign (approx. 0.6 miles away); 6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle / 7” Brooke Rifle (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gulf Shores.
More about this marker. This marker can be found half mile east of the Fort Morgan Museum at the end of the old runway. Even though this marker is near the main road, there is no access to this marker from the main road. There is an entrance fee to enter the Fort Morgan State Historic Park.
Also see . . . Fort Morgan, Guardian On The Bay. (Submitted on November 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, World I •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.