Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
—Alexandria Historic District —
Wording on stone tablet to left:
County seat of Fairfax 1742-1800
Organized 13th July, 1749
Incorporated by the Assembly of Virginia 1779
Ceded to the Federal Government 1789
First boundary stone of the Federal District laid 15th of April 1791
Capitulated to the British 38th of August 1814
Retroceded to Virginia July 1846
The Market Square is the historic center of the town, in it the troops of Braddock were drilled 1755 and news of his defeat at Ft. Duquesne was announced to the country 16th of July 1755.
The Carlyle House in Fairfax Street was the headquarters of Gen. Braddock during the French and Indian War, and was the scene of the Council of Royal Governors Dinwiddie of Virginia, Shirley of Massachusetts, Delancy of New York, Morris of Pennsylvania and Sharp of Maryland, at which the first suggestion was made by British officials in council, of taxing the American colonies. On this occasion Washington received his appointment as aide to General Braddock. Here also was held in 1785 a conference between the governors of Virginia and Maryland which resulted in a convention of delegates from all the states at Philadelphia in 1787. This convention framed the Constitution of the United States.
The county courthouse was the point of beginning of the survey of the Federal District 1791. Here George Washington polled his last vote 1799, and his will was probated 20th of January 1800.
At the Old City Tavern, corner of Royal and Cameron Sts., Washington had his headquarters as Colonel of VA. Militia when drilling his troops, 1754. The first celebration of the adoption of the Federal Constitution was held at this tavern 27th of June 1788 and from the doorway 16th of April 1789 George Washington, on his way to his first inauguration responded to a farewell address made by Mayor, Colonel Dennis Ramsey on behalf of the citizens of Alexandria. From this hostelry General Washington issued his last military order when receiving the Independent Blues, November 1799.
in the State of Virginia, May 8th, 1914.
Erected 1914 by Colonial Dames of Virginia.
Location. 38° 48.339′ N, 77° 2.585′ Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 King St., Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexandria Washington Lodge (a few steps from this marker); Gadsby’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); The Front Door of Gadsby's Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gadsby's Tavern Ice Well (within shouting distance of this marker); The Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Assembly Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . . Alexandria City Hall. ... clock tower designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1817) ... rebuilt 1871, architect, Adolf Cluss ... headquarters of the Alexandria-Washington Masonic Lodge until 1945 ... home to Alexandria court facilities until 1965 when a new Court House opened on King Street, and the court rooms, judicial chambers, ... and ancillary facilities were moved out of City Hall .... (Submitted on October 29, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Alexander Henderson and George Mason of Virginia; Major Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer; Mr. Chase and Mr. Stone of Maryland
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 550 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.