Brooklyn Center in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Earle Brown and the Brooklyn Farm
Aspiring to be a gentlemen farmer, Brown initially used the land to breed award-winning Belgian Horses. But the farm was destined to become famous for activities unrelated to agriculture. In 1911, the village of Brooklyn Center was formed at a meeting held at the Brown farm. As the nation became interested in aviation during World War I, Brown offered his farm and its buildings as a training field for U.S. military aviators. Though this offer was declined, the Brown farm did become the first commercial flying field in Minnesota in the summer of 1918, when hangars were erected and pilots began using the site as a training facility and airport. Although planes had previously landed on Minnesota lakes and at the Parade (grounds) near Dunwoody Institute, no formal air fields had been constructed. In 1920 Brown was elected Hennepin County sheriff, a position he held twice, from 1920-1929 and then from 1943-1947. In 1929 he organized the Minnesota
In 1949, Brown willed the farm to the University of Minnesota, hoping that it would become the University's Agricultural Extension Center upon his death. After Brown died, however, the University sold the land and used the income to build the Earle Brown Continuing Education Center of the St. Paul Campus.
In 1985 the City of Brooklyn Center acquired the buildings and property of the original homestead. Preserved for the people of Minnesota, it is a tangible link to the agricultural heritage of what is now an urban area. It is also a memorial to an important figure in Minnesota history.
Erected by the Minnesota Historical Society
Erected 1998 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 4.032′ N, 93° 18.174′ W. Marker is in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker Click for map. Marker is at the Earle Brown Heritage Center, left of the main office/stable entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6155 Earle Brown Drive, Minneapolis MN 55430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. How the Dam Works (approx. 5.2 miles away); Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park (approx. 5.5 miles away); The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes (approx. 6 miles away); Richard Chute Square (approx. 6 miles away); Joseph N. Nicollet (approx. 6 miles away); Bridging the Stream (approx. 6 miles away); The Ard Godfrey House (approx. 6 miles away); Eliza Winston (approx. 6 miles away).
Also see . . . Earle Brown Heritage Center. History. (Submitted on November 3, 2013.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Air & Space • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.