West Bend in Washington County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
James Kneeland House
City of West Bend, Wisconsin
In 1860, the building served as an Inn owned by Union Civil War Captain Jacob E. Mann. Veteran Civil War Private Ernst Fitzner purchased this building in 1878. The building was converted in 1892 into a two-family side-by-side dwelling. From 1910 through the 1940s, it was a one-family home. The use of the building changed in 1946, and was primarily used for business purposes including Abstract and Title Company from 1955-1959, a tea room in the 1960s, Norwood Paper Company in 1975, and from the 1980s to present for various dining establishments.
Washington County, Wisconsin
Erected 2007 by Washington County Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 07-001.)
Location. 43° 25.257′ N, 88° 10.986′ W. Marker is in West Bend, Wisconsin, in Washington County. Marker is on Poplar Street 0.1 miles west of South Main Steet, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located on the front of The Poplar Inn restaurant. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Court House Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington County Courthouse Square (about 400 feet away); Tuchscherer Residence (about 600 feet away); Old Settlers Triangle (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stephan F. Mayer Home (approx. half a mile away); The West Bend Aluminum Company (approx. 0.8 miles away); Verbeck Residence (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in West Bend.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.