Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lutherstadt Wittenberg in Wittenberg District, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
 

Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im “Lutherhof”

 
 
Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im "Lutherhof" Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2013
1. Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im "Lutherhof" Marker
Inscription.

The members of the union "Old Jungfernröhrwasser", including Lucas Cranach the Younger and Hans Lufft, commissioned the construction of these water mains in 1556.

There were 20 members at the start. The water was taken from the spring area to the individual courtyards along a 2.7 km pipe, which used the natural downwards gradient of the terrain. The pipes were made of hollowed tree trunks, connected to each other using iron joints. Wells were constructed in different forms and using different materials in the outlets on the individual courtyards, the so-called portions. One portion supplies ten litres of fresh water in four minutes, day and night, in Summer and Winter.

This technical monument from the 16th century, which still works today, is unique in Germany. It is serviced by the pipe engineer in the service of the union that still exists today.

The simple portion in the Lutherhof was replaced with a decorative well in 1870, when the Luther House and courtyard were redesigned by the Berlin-based architect Friedrich August Stüler. Luther never saw this water main. He died in Eisleben in 1546.

The Water Piping Systems is maintained by Stadtwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg GmbH.

——————————

1556 ließen die Mitglieder
Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im "Lutherhof" and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2013
2. Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im "Lutherhof" and Marker
der Gerwerkschaft "Altes Jungfernröhrwasser", u. a. Lucas Cranach d. J. und Hans Lufft, diese Röhrwasserleitung bauen.

Anfänglich waren es 20 Mitglieder. Vom Quellgebiet wurde das Wasser im natürlichen Gefälle in einer 2,7 km langen Rohrleitung in die einzelnen Höfe geleitet. Die Rohrleitungen bestanden aus durchbohrten Holzstämmen. Diese wurden untereinander durch Eisenmuffen verbunden. An den Auslaufstellen in den einzelnen Höfen, den sogenannten Portionen, wurden Brunnen in unterschiedlicher Form und aus vershiedenen Materialien errichtet. Eine Portion liefert in vier Minuten zehn Liter frisches Wasser, Tag und Nacht, Sommer wie Winter.

Dieses noch heute funktionierende technische Denkmal des 16. Jahrhunderts ist einmalig in Deutschland. Es wird überwacht durch den Röhrmeister der noch heute bestehenden Gewerkschaft.

Die schlichte Portion im Lutherhof wurde 1870, als Lutherhaus und Hof vom Berliner Baumeister Friedrich August Stüler umgestaltet wurden, durch diesen Schmuckbrunnen ersetzt. Luther selbst konnte dieses Röhrwasser nicht mehr erleben. Er starb 1546 in Eisleben.

Betreut wird das Röhrwasser durch die Gewerkschaft Altes und Neues Jungfernröhrwasser der Lutherstadt Wittenberg e. V.
 
Erected by Stadtwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg GmbH.
 
Location. 51° 
Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im "Lutherhof" image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2013
3. Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im "Lutherhof"
51.859′ N, 12° 39.141′ E. Marker is in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, in Wittenberg District. Click for map. Marker and fountain are in the Augusteum/Luther House courtyard. Marker is at or near this postal address: Collegienstraße 54, Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt 06886, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Luther House / Das Lutherhaus (a few steps from this marker); Martin Luther House (within shouting distance of this marker); Michael Agricola (within shouting distance of this marker); Karl Ludwig Nitzsch (within shouting distance of this marker); Johann von Staupitz (within shouting distance of this marker); The Augusteum / Das Augusteum (within shouting distance of this marker); The Elster Gate / Das Elstertor (within shouting distance of this marker); Philipp Melanchthon House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEnvironmentMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement