Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Avila Beach in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Point San Luis Light Station

Head Keeper’s Quarters & Lighthouse

 
 
Head Keeper’s Quarters & Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sue Swackhamer, October 6, 2013
1. Head Keeper’s Quarters & Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. Built in 1890 as part of the original light station, this building combined the lighthouse (tower structure) and the residence/office of the head keeper and his family.
 
Location. 35° 9.621′ N, 120° 45.65′ W. Marker is in Avila Beach, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Avila Beach CA 93424, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pier Into The Past (approx. 1.7 miles away); Pacific Coast Railway (approx. 9.6 miles away); Carnegie City Library (approx. 9.9 miles away); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (approx. 10 miles away); Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa (approx. 10 miles away); Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail (approx. 10 miles away); Chong's Candy Store (approx. 10 miles away); Southern Pacific Water Tower (approx. 10 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This light station is located on Point San Luis near Avila Beach, CA. Access is by tour only.
 
Also see . . .  The Point San Luis Lighthouse - History. The story of San Luis Bay and the Point San Luis Lighthouse is a story of disaster and rescue, drama and peace, and
Point San Luis Light Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sue Swackhamer, October 6, 2013
2. Point San Luis Light Station Marker
The marker is located on the porch.
a undying quest of safety and protection for a generation of maritime explorers, shippers, and travelers.

This site is currently under construction (Submitted on November 7, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Additional keywords. lighthouse
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
West Duplex Building image. Click for full size.
By Sue Swackhamer, October 6, 2013
3. West Duplex Building
The plaque, located between the two entrances, reads:
Built in 1963 by the Coast Guard as a replacement structure for the original 1890 Victorian duplex at this same location. To clear the site, the original structure was pushed over the coast bluff below.
Fog Signal Building image. Click for full size.
By Sue Swackhamer, October 6, 2013
4. Fog Signal Building
The plaque on this building reads:
Built in 1890 as part of the original light station, this structure was also called the Whistle House, the later the Horn House. It was always the building that generated the audio component for the Point San Luis Light Station.
Oil House image. Click for full size.
By Sue Swackhamer, October 6, 2013
5. Oil House
The plaque on the building reads:
Built in 1890 as part of the original light station, this building, constructed of brick with an iron door to reduce the hazard of fire, was used to store lamp oil for the light and other flammables.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement