Marion in Perry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Marion Female Seminary
This building, erected in 1850, contained the art studio of Nicola Marschall, who designed here in 1861 the first Confederate flag, the “Stars and Bars,” as well as the grey uniform of the Confederate Army. From 1916 to 1970 the building served as a local public school. Entered National Register of Historic Places 1973.
Erected 1976 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 38.072′ N, 87° 19.278′ W. Marker is in Marion, Alabama, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of West Monroe Street and Spring Street, on the left when traveling east on West Monroe Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 West Monroe Street, Marion AL 36756, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Muckle's Ridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Perry County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nicola Marschall (approx. 0.2 miles Confederate Rest (approx. 0.2 miles away); Siloam Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Judson College (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Alabama Baptist (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Marion.
Regarding The Marion Female Seminary. The building currently houses the Perry County Historical Society and the Perry County High School Alumni Association.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.