Marion in Perry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Congregational Church of Marion
In 1931 the Congregational and Christian Churches merged forming the Congregational Christian Church, which in 1957 joined with the Evangelical and Reformed Church to form the United Church of Christ.
This building was constructed by members and friends of the congregation in 1871 and is the oldest and most unaltered example of an early black church in Marion. The first pastor was the Rev. G.W. Andrews and T.C. Stewart was the architect and contractor.
Erected 1986 by Alabama Historical Commission and the Congregation.
Location. 32° 37.657′ N, 87° 19.701′ W. Marker is in Marion, Alabama, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of Clay Street and Church Street, on the left Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Clay Street, Marion AL 36756, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Normal School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Siloam Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Marion Female Seminary (approx. 0.6 miles away); Marion Military Institute (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nicola Marschall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Perry County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Muckle's Ridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Alabama Baptist (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marion.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.