“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marion in Perry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Muckle's Ridge

Muckle's Ridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 8, 2013
1. Muckle's Ridge Marker
Inscription. Side 1:
The site that became Marion was settled by Michael McElroy, traditionally known by his alias, Michael Muckle, around 1817. McElroy sold his property, which had become known as Muckle’s Ridge, to Anderson West in 1818. West and his wife moved into McElroy’s cabin, located near where the old jail is today, and cleared off a cornfield, upon which the courthouse now sits. The Alabama legislature formed Perry County in 1819, and the first county seat was at Perry Ridge, near the Cahaba. The state selected a committee to select a new county seat in early 1822, as Perry Ridge was too isolated from the majority of the county. Muckle’s Ridge won the committee’s vote because of its central location. Anderson West, owner of the town site, hoped to become wealthy by auctioning off his property into town lots. Unfortunately, the day of the auction, May 22, 1822, was rainy; the roads were nearly impassable, and few attended the auction. Many of the town lots sold for bargain prices.
(Continued on other side)
Side 2:
(Continued from other side)
Later in 1822, a community committee voted on a new name for the county seat, with Marion being chosen to honor General Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox” of the American Revolution. A two-story log cabin courthouse was erected
Muckle's Ridge Marker (Reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 8, 2013
2. Muckle's Ridge Marker (Reverse)
on the site of the present-day courthouse in the 1820s. A brick building replaced it in 1837. The current courthouse was built 1854-1856. General Sam Houston of Texas gave a speech here in May 1840. Later in the 19th century, the square was the hub of public life through the turbulent days of the Civil War and Reconstruction. This site was at the center of the civil and voting rights movements of the 1960s. Michael Muckle’s former pioneer homestead remains the heart of the social, business, cultural, and political life of Perry County.
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Marion.
Location. 32° 37.993′ N, 87° 19.129′ W. Marker is in Marion, Alabama, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Green Street, on the right when traveling north on Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 Washington Street, Marion AL 36756, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Perry County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Nicola Marschall (within shouting distance of this marker); Siloam Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Marion Female Seminary
Perry County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 8, 2013
3. Perry County Courthouse
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Judson College (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Rest (approx. ¼ mile away); The Alabama Baptist (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marion.
Categories. Civil RightsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement