Marion in Perry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Lincoln Normal School
On July 17, 1867, nine ex-slaves (James Childs, Alexander H. Curtis, Nicholas Dale, John Freeman, David Harris, Thomas Lee, Nathan Levert, Ivey Pharish and Thomas Speed) formed and incorporated the “Lincoln School of Marion.” They soon found it difficult to recruit and pay teachers. On September 10, 1868, the trustees entered into an agreement with the American Missionary Association (AMA), an auxiliary of the Congregational Churches. The Reverend A. W. Steward, the first principal, also organized the First Congregational Church in the school in 1869.
The school grew so rapidly the AMA could not finance it. In 1874 the State of Alabama was asked to take over the secondary department. It was formed into a normal school to train black teachers. A new building and more teachers were added; students came from all over the state; and William Burns Patterson became principal.
An incendiary fire in 1887 destroyed the state school; it was moved to Montgomery where it became State Normal School, now Alabama State University. The people of Marion prevailed again upon the AMA to provide a school and the Patterson home was turned into classrooms. In 1897 the AMA decided to abandon the school because of the lack of funds needed to make it efficient, but the people rallied to support the new principal,
The 1920s were hard years for Lincoln. Dormitories were closed; the elementary department was discontinued, but a health program was started; cooperatives were organized
In 1943 the first black principal, Rev. E. A. Smith, was hired and all of the white teachers had to leave when the state agreed to operate the school. The state finally purchased the eight-acre campus and forty-acre farm from the AMA in 1960. During the integration process Lincoln School was formally closed in May 1970, after 103 years of service.
Erected 1992 by the Alabama Historical Commission and Marion Lincolnite Chapter (Mrs. Idella J. Childs, President).
Location. 32° 37.549′ N, 87° 19.736′ W. Marker is in Marion, Alabama, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Street and Lee Street, on the left when traveling west on Lincoln Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Lincoln Street, Marion AL 36756, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Congregational Church of Marion (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marion Military Institute (approx. 0.6 miles away); Siloam Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Marion Female Seminary (approx. ¾ mile away); The Alabama Baptist (approx. 0.8 miles away); Nicola Marschall (approx. 0.8 miles away); Perry County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Muckle's Ridge (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marion.
Also see . . . Lincoln School, in The Encyclopedia of Alabama. (Submitted on November 10, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.