Marion in Perry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
During the War Between the States, Breckinridge Military Hospital was established at what is now Marion Military Institute. Soldiers who died were first buried behind MMI campus. After the war, Ladies Memorial Assoc. had remains exhumed and re-interred here in St. Wilfrid's Cemetery. Redwood tree planted as a living memorial to the fallen soldiers.
Grave of Judge Wm. M. Brooks, President of the Alabama Secession Convention of 1861, is nearby.
April 29, 1979
Erected 1979 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 38.192′ N, 87° 19.095′ W. Marker is in Marion, Alabama, in Perry County. Marker can be reached from Clements Street 0.1 miles east of Washington Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker and graves are located on the northeast corner of the cemetery loop road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Clements Street, Marion AL 36756, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Marion Female Seminary (approx. 0.2 Muckle's Ridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Perry County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Nicola Marschall (approx. ¼ mile away); Siloam Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Judson College (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Alabama Baptist (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Marion.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.