“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Jones in Siskiyou County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)


1851- 1861

Deadwood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 23, 2013
1. Deadwood Marker
Inscription. The town of Deadwood, in its brief existence, was one of the most important business centers in early Siskiyou County. In 1857 there wee three stores, three saloons, two butcher shops, a bakery, a blacksmith shop, two stables, and a dairy. Among the Deadwood businessmen were William Davidson, owner of a general store and butcher shop; C.H. Pyle, operator of another butcher shop; and William Pool, owner of a trading post. The drugstore was owned by Dr, Daniel Ream. Other businessmen included Caleb Gartrell, Nathaniel Sawyer, S.E. Stone, A.B. Carlock, and M. Rosenberg. In comparison to the large business section with its two hotels, there were few residences in town. Most of the miners lived in tents, log cabins, and shelters of all types scattered along the creeks and gulches. In 1856 the town was second to Yreka in population and cast 475 votes at the county convention of 1857. Deadwood came within a few votes of winning the county seat. By 1858 the glory of Deadwood had begun to fade. On December 26, 1861 a disastrous fire burned most of the town and soon after other fires completely destroyed the town of Deadwood.

Small plaque below

Plaque restored in cooperation with the
Siskiyou County
Historical Society

And rededicated October 3, 2009
Humbug Chapter No. 73 and
Deadwood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 23, 2013
2. Deadwood Marker

Oregon Outpost Umpqua Joe No. 1859
E Clampus Vitus

Erected 1948 by Siskiyou County Historical Society, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 41° 42.857′ N, 122° 48.201′ W. Marker is near Fort Jones, California, in Siskiyou County. Marker is at the intersection of Deadwood Creek Road (Federal Route 45N49) and McAdams Creek Road, on the right when traveling west on Deadwood Creek Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Jones CA 96032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robbers Rock (approx. 4.9 miles away); Humbug Mining District (approx. 7.3 miles away); Greenhorn (approx. 7.6 miles away); World Wars Memorial (approx. 7.7 miles away); Fort Jones (approx. 7.7 miles away); “Fort Jones House” (approx. 7.8 miles away); Moonlit Oaks Dance Pavilion / Clyde Johnson Lynching (approx. 8.2 miles away); Lynching (approx. 8.2 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Jones.
More about this marker. Deadwood Creek Road (Klamath National Forest road 45N49) is not identified at its the intersection with McAdams Creek Road. The marker is about 200 feet north to the intersection.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement