Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Central of Georgia railroad built this shop between 1851-1855. A second story (A) was added in 1876. Machinists working here milled metal by threading pipes and bolts, drilling holes, and planing items to various sizes. The machinists also finished iron objects made in the Blacksmith Shop and repaired items such train wheels. The wheel lathe, drill press, smaller lathes, and metal planers were powered by the line shaft from the Boiler Room. The curved wall (B) by the front of the Machine Shop marks the edge of the original 1850s Roundhouse.
Hourly and Monthly Wages for Machinists
* 1917 - 50 cents ($103.02 a month)
* 1920 - 85 cents ($173.40 a month)
* 1921 - 77 cents ($157.08 a month)
* 1922 - 70 cents ($142.80 a month)
(upper left) This photograph shows the shop years after the complex closed, but prior to its destruction by Hurricane David in 1979. Library of Congress
(lower left) The letters indicate the same areas on the photograph above as on this map. Library of Congress
Location. Click for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Georgia State Railroad Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 655 Louisville Road, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Turntable (here, next to this marker); Workers' Garden (here, next to this marker); Tender Frame Shop & Master Mechanic's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Smokestack (within shouting distance of this marker); Drop Table (within shouting distance of this marker); Colored Shopmen's Locker & Lavatory (within shouting distance of this marker); Boiler Room (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . Georgia State Railroad Museum. Coastal Heritage Society. (Submitted on November 18, 2013.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.