Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
French Gulch in Shasta County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

E. Franck & Co.

 
 
E. Franck & Co. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2013
1. E. Franck & Co. Marker
Inscription. Established 1854 by brothers Fredrick Anton and Ignatz Franck offering mining supplies and general merchandise. Built in 1867, this native stone and mortar building, replaced the original wooden structure consumed by fire in 1856.
 
Erected 1993 by E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter 62.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 40° 41.975′ N, 122° 38.322′ W. Marker is in French Gulch, California, in Shasta County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14141 Main Street, French Gulch CA 96033, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. French Gulch (a few steps from this marker); French Gulch Hotel (a few steps from this marker); French Gulch Lodge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); I.O.O.F. Lodge #75 (approx. mile away); Camden House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Toll Bridge (approx. 2.5 miles away); Tower House Historic District (approx. 2.5 miles away); Lewiston Hotel (approx. 8.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in French Gulch.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
E. Franck & Co. Marker and Building image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2013
2. E. Franck & Co. Marker and Building
Back entrance to the E Franck building image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 27, 2015
3. Back entrance to the E Franck building
This is an active bar, in business continuously since the 1850's but from the front, the historical old fire doors remain closed. To enter you have to go to the back door on the left in this picture.
Above the bar image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 27, 2015
4. Above the bar
The inside holds more memorabilia than some small museums. Some of the items on the shelves date from the 1800's, There are very old bottles, old signs, guns, horns and pictures relating to mining, logging and the history of Shasta County.
More stuff behind the bar image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 27, 2015
5. More stuff behind the bar
Antique silver plated cash register sits at the end of the bar. Lots more memorabilia sits above the bar.
Across from bar image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 27, 2015
6. Across from bar
Some violins, tea cups and some historic pictures, including a shot of the dirt road in front of E Franck and Company from the 1880's showing the French Gulch Hotel.
E. Franck & Co. Commercial Award image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 27, 2015
7. E. Franck & Co. Commercial Award
A plaque on the wall inside the building presented 20 years after the outside plaque was dedicated.
Stamp Mill behind the building image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 27, 2015
8. Stamp Mill behind the building
Power & Mining Machinery Co. Milwaukee Wis Stamp Mill that sits out behind the E Franck building. The stamp mill was used to crush quartz ore, turning it to powder and extracting the gold trapped inside. Three Historians taking their own pictures of the stamp mill.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 212 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement