“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The Garrett Building

The Garrett Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 12, 2008
1. The Garrett Building Marker
Inscription. This 13-story building, completed in 1913, was designed by Baltimore architects J. B. Noel Wyatt and William G. Nolting. Reflecting a mixture of styles, this transitional building combines the Chicago windows, flat wall panes and flat skyline characteristic of the Commercial style with Renaissance Revival details such as loggias, pedimented windows and rustication. From 1913 to 1974, the building housed Robert Garrett and Sons, one of the oldest and most influential banking houses in the country.

Robert Garrett (1783-1857), an Irish-born merchant-turned-financier, came to Baltimore as a young man in 1801 and clerked for several years in a produce and commission house. In 1819, he opened his own firm on Howard Street, dispatching such items as flint, chocolate and chalk to village stores out west, and receiving in return ginseng, snakeroot and whiskey. The business prospered and by the mid-century, Robert Garrett and Sons were leaders in trade, shipping, railroads and finance. They and their descendants rose to an extraordinary level of influence in the economic, social and civic affairs of the city, the state and the nation.

In 1981, the partners of the law firm of Gordon, Feinblatt, Rothman, Hoffberger and Hollander purchased the building and began one of the single largest restoration projects in the history of downtown
The Garrett Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 12, 2008
2. The Garrett Building and Marker
Baltimore. The project was completed in January, 1984.
Erected by the City of Baltimore, Garrett Associates, sponsor and William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.333′ N, 76° 36.663′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of East Redwood Street and South Street, on the left when traveling west on East Redwood Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lovely Lane Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wendel Bollman (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Continental Trust Building (about 400 feet away); Alex. Brown & Sons Company Building (about 400 feet away); Alex Brown Investment Banking Company (about 500 feet away); The Munsey Building (about 600 feet away); The Equitable Building (about 700 feet away); The Battle Monument (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,098 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016.
Paid Advertisement