Kinston in Lenoir County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Kinston Battleﬁeld Park
Harriet's Chapel and Starr's Battery Site
The Union advance through Lenoir County was stubbornly contested by Confederate General Nathan G. “Shanks” Evan’s Brigade; first at Southwest Creek, about four miles south on Dec. 13th and then here along the line defending Kinston on Dec. 14th. Although greatly outnumbered (~2,000 vs. ~12,000), the Confederates put a much stronger resistance than expected, but were overrun and withdrew north of the Neuse River in the direction of Goldsboro on Dec. 14th. Foster occupied Kinston overnight on the 14th but continued his movement toward Goldsboro on Dec. 15th, taking the River Road, south of the Neuse River.
Battle operational reports and diaries mentions that “small, unpainted wooden church”, known as “Harriet’s Chapel”, sat in this area. It was a focal point for both the Union and Confederate forces and was used as part of the defensive
It received much damage during the fight but was used as a field hospital after the battle.
A section of the Confederate earth works are near here and lead to the site of Starr’s Battery, a Confederate artillery position. The church sitting on the site today is the New Beaverdam Primitive Baptist Church. It was built about 8 miles south in the 1860s. It was moved to this site in 2010, stabilized, restored and preserved by the Historical Preservation Group for use as an interpretive tool representing Harriet’s Chapel.
The site is being preserved with the help of a federal grant from the Land and Water Conservation Fund, Administered by the National Park Service. The Grounds are open to the general public. The site is owned by the Historical Preservation Group and managed by the Lenoir County Battlefields Commission — Kinston/Southwest Creek/Wyse Fork
Erected by Historical Preservation Group.
Location. 35° 14.532′ N, 77° 35.294′ W. Marker is in Kinston, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker is at the intersection of Richlands Road (U.S. 258) and Measley Road, on the right when traveling north on Richlands Road. Click for map. This marker is located on the grounds of the Kinston Battlefield
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fighting at Harriet's Chapel (a few steps from this marker); The Night of December 13, 1862 (within shouting distance of this marker); First Battle of Kinston (within shouting distance of this marker); The Site of Harriet's Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Caring for the Wounded (within shouting distance of this marker); The Confederate Defenses of Kinston (within shouting distance of this marker); Wessells' Advance—December 14, 1862 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Center of the Confederate Line (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Kinston.
Also see . . . Lenoir County Battlefields Commission. Historical Preservation Group (Submitted on November 25, 2013.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.