Near Santa Nella in Merced County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Since then it has been trail, toll road, stagecoach road, and freeway -- the principal route between the coastal areas to the west and the great valley and mountains to the east.
Calfornia Registered Historical Landmark No. 829
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Merced County Historical Advisory Committee and the Native Daughters of the Golden West, June 18, 1969.
Erected 1969 by California State Department of Parks and Recreation, Merced County Historical Advisory Committee, Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 829.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 37° 4.825′ N, 121° 5.892′ W. Marker is near Santa Nella, California, in Merced County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 152 6 miles west of Interstate 5. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gustine CA 95322, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the First Marine Division – FMF (approx. 2.6 miles away); San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); United States Submariners Memorial (approx. 2.7 miles away); 1843 - Rancho de San Luis Gonzaga - 1931 (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Old Adobe of Rancho San Luis Gonzaga (approx. 6.9 miles away); Men of Gustine War Memorial (approx. 13.3 miles away); Enterprise School (approx. 13.3 miles away); Gustine Museum (approx. 13.4 miles away).
More about this marker. To find the marker, take the signed road off of Highway 152 to the Romero Visitor Center, which is situated on a promontory overlooking San Luis Reservoir. The marker is mounted on a low cement monument on west side of the Visitor Center.
Also see . . . San Luis Reservoir SRA. California State Park's description of the San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area includes a brief history of the Pacheco Pass, "Pacheco pass was named for Don Juan Pacheco, who settled here in the 1840s. The pass was used by Native Americans, Spanish soldiers and missionaries, Mexican ranchers, and gold miners, as well as more recent travelers. In 1856, Andrew Firebaugh improved the pass and made it a toll road, with a toll house two miles west of the summit. He had hardly (Submitted on February 7, 2010.)
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 2,342 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.