“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McIntosh in Washington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Town of McIntosh

Town of McIntosh Marker (side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 4, 2013
1. Town of McIntosh Marker (side 1)
Inscription. (side 1)
McIntosh has a community population of about 300. The town was incorporated on April 7, 1970, becoming the third incorporated town in Washington County. The following officials were elected to serve four year terms: Mayor Carrol Daugherty, R.A. Boykin, Arla Kern, Frank Everett, W.Z. Wells and Armond Daugherty. People of black, white and Indian ancestry live in the area of McIntosh. McIntosh is served by the Southern Railroad which runs from Mobile to Birmingham to connecting lines. Highway 43 runs through McIntosh, north-south. The Tombigbee River is on the eastern boundary of McIntosh. It is a navigable waterway and provides fishing for the local sportsmen. Telephone service came to McIntosh in the early 1950's as a result of the construction of two large chemical plants constructed near the large salt dome, a natural resource.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
The forest located around McIntosh, has always provided livelihood for McIntosh residents. Longleaf pine, shortleaf pine, and hardwood, such as oak, hickory, beech, ash, cedar, cypress, poplar, walnut, gum and dogwood were found to be abundant in the area with trees used for making paper and furniture. At the time of this marker dedication in 2010, McIntosh had two schools located
Town of McIntosh Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 4, 2013
2. Town of McIntosh Marker (side 2)
on separate campuses, McIntosh Elementary School on the north end of town and McIntosh High School on the south end of town; five industrial plants; and a Rescue and Fire Department. Also, as of 2010, the Mayor was Carrol Daugherty, the only person elected since the town’s incorporation. Serving with him as council members were Dean Daugherty, Joe Middleton, Randy Davidson, Julia Wells and Tony Daugherty.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of McIntosh.
Location. 31° 16.054′ N, 88° 1.868′ W. Marker is in McIntosh, Alabama, in Washington County. Marker is on Commerce Street 0.1 miles north of River Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Commerce Street, Mc Intosh AL 36553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andrews Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mt. Vernon Arsenal and Barracks/Searcy Hospital (approx. 12.4 miles away); Fort Stoddert (approx. 12.6 miles away); Mt. Vernon Federal Highway (approx. 12.6 miles away); Fort Mims Massacre (approx. 12.9 miles away); Fort Mims And The Creek Indian War, 1813-14
McIntosh Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 4, 2013
3. McIntosh Town Hall
(approx. 12.9 miles away); Fort Mims (approx. 13.2 miles away); Surrender Site (approx. 17.9 miles away).
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement