Walterboro in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Colleton County Courthouse
The original section of this courthouse, completed in 1882 after the county seat moved to Walterboro from Jacksonborough, was built by contractor William Thompson. The front portico is attributed to Robert Mills, who completed an unfinished design by William Jay. The courthouse was in such poor condition within a few years, however, that it was extensively renovated in 1843-44.
This courthouse, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, is built of brick covered in stucco scored to imitate stone. It was enlarged in 1916 by a frame wing on the west elevation. In 1937-39 a project of the Works Progress Administration covered the west wing with brick, built a new brick wing on the east elevation and an addition on the north entrance, and remodeled the interior.
Erected 2001 by the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society. (Marker Number 15-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 32° 54.132′ N, 80° 39.984′ W. Marker is in Walterboro, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hampton Street and Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Walterboro SC 29488, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Walterboro (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colleton County Veterans War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Walterboro Jail (about 600 feet away); Walterborough Academy (approx. 0.3 miles away); Walterborough Library Society (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hickory Valley (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bethel Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Walterboro.
Regarding Colleton County Courthouse. The Colleton County Courthouse is significant architecturally as a fine example of Greek Revival architecture whose design is attributed to Robert Mills and built by J. and B. Lucas, noted Charleston contractors. Constructed in 1820, the Colleton County Courthouse is a handsomely designed brick building stuccoed to represent stone. The entrance façade contains curved stairways with ironwork railings leading to a raised portico with an ironwork balustrade. Four Tuscan columns support the portico’s massive, undecorated entablature. The portico is framed by two pilasters and shelters a double, four-paneled door
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on April 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,382 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.