“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Anderson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Prelude: The Green McAdoo School

Prelude: The Green McAdoo School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, August 16, 2013
1. Prelude: The Green McAdoo School Marker
Inscription. Freedman's Hill, or Foley Hill as it came to be known, has long been an educational site for the African American community, whether in the schoolhouse built by the Freedman's Bureau after the Civil War, later destroyed by fire, or the churches of Asbury Methodist and Mount Sinai Baptist. Built in 1935, as a New Deal project, the present school was first named the Clinton Colored School. It was designed by architect Frank Barber, and bore similarities to schools funded by the Rosenwald Fund. This philanthropic organization founded by John Julius Rosenwald, constructed schools in black communities throughout the South. In an effort to obtain funding from the organization, the local black community created a Rosenwald School Fund to raise their required share of funding. However, before they could do so, the Rural School Building Program ceased operation following the death of Julius Rosenwald in 1932. Clinton Colored School was renamed in 1947 to Green McAdoo Grammar School in honor of Green L. McAdoo, a former buffalo soldier, landowner, and employee of the Anderson County Courthouse. This school provided education for 1st through 8th grade.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Buffalo Soldiers marker series.
Location. 36° 6.146′ N, 84° 8.416′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Tennessee, in Anderson County. Marker is on Cummings St near West Broad St. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton TN 37716, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elza Gate (approx. 5.4 miles away); Oak Ridge (approx. 8.8 miles away); The Scarboro Community (approx. 9.3 miles away); The Emery Road (approx. 9.3 miles away); The Robertsville Community (approx. 9.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Cavett's Station (approx. 13.2 miles away); States' View (approx. 13.5 miles away); The Baker-Peters-Rogers House (approx. 13.5 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is on the exterior of the Green-McAdoo Cultural Center. This one is marked "Prelude" because the rest of the amazing story is inside the Cultural Center/Museum.
Categories. African AmericansCivil Rights
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 1,058 times since then and 234 times this year. Last updated on , by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photo   1. submitted on , by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement