Cooma in Beresford, New South Wales, Australia
In the 1850s Cooma was developing in two areas, one around Lambie and Mulach Street, the other over the hill where Centennial Park and Sharp Street are now. Nevertheless for the first twenty years Lambie Street was the commercial centre of Cooma.
Lambie Street is registered by the National Trust as a heritage precinct. This is because many of Coomaís oldest buildings are there and as modern development virtually passed it by, the houses are relatively intact. The early Victorian buildings range from modest cottages to two storey residences. Many are distinguished by the use of granite gneiss, a local granite, which can be worked into smooth rectangular blocks. Other buildings are constructed of over-sized bricks, peculiar to Cooma. James Hain, his son Joseph, and James Mawson were prominent Cooma builders in the second half of the 19th century and they were responsible for many of Lambie Streetís oldest houses.
The Lord Raglan Inn above was built in 1854 by James Hain, who obtained a publicanís licence (sic) in 1855, in the same year Samuel Shannon obtained a spirit merchantís licence for a store in Lambie Street and in 1856 Dr Merryweather was practicing in Lambie Street.
Lambie Street was the location of the first hospital in
Lambie Street was named after John Lambie, the first Commissioner of Crown Lands for Monaro. He came to Cooma in 1842 and when Surveyor Townsend carried out his survey for the proposed new town in March 1849, he marked on his plan John Lambieís house, an office and an old lock up in the area known as Mr. Lamieís Paddock. Lambieís house was a slab hut with a thatched roof located where the Hain Centre now stands.
The area at the junction of Lambie Street and Sharp Street became known as Royal Side or the Royal end of town after James Hain built the Royal Hotel in 1858. A few years later he built a stone general store across the road on Sharp Street. The Royal Hotelís elaborate verandahs were added in 1900 and are the only street verandahís (sic) in Cooma to survive the demolition orders of the 1950ís. The Hain family has continued to be a commercial presence on the Sharp Street side for the past 140 years.
Erected by Cooma-Monaro Shire Council & Cooma Monaro Historical Society.
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 61 Lambie Street, Cooma, New South Wales 2630, Australia.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Cooma 1890 / Cooma 1925 (approx. 0.8 kilometers away).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 432 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.