Near Jacksonboro in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pon Pon Chapel
Erected 1994 by Colleton County Historical Society, replacing a marker originally erected in 1970. (Marker Number 15-14.)
Location. 32° 47.752′ N, 80° 29.288′ W. Marker is near Jacksonboro, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is on Charleston Highway (County Route 64) south of Jacksonboro Rd (County Route 40), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The chapel itself is located just northeast of the intersection of Jacksonboro Rd. and Parker's Ferry Rd. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonboro SC 29452, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Burial Site of Captain John Herbert Dent (approx. half a mile away); Bethel Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Pon Pon Chapel (approx. 0.9 miles away); Colonel Issac Hayne (approx. 0.9 miles away); Martyr Of The Revolution / Hayne Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fateful Choices - The Hanging Of Isaac Hayne (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle Of Parker's Ferry (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jacksonboro.
Also see . . . Pon Pon Chapel, National Register Properties in South Carolina. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Ruins of the church are stabilized and can be visited and also the adjacent cemetery containing the remains of Congressmen Aedanus Burke and O’Brien Smith, in addition to numerous local leaders.
1. Pon Pon Chapel
Pon Pon Chapel of Ease of St. Bartholomew's Parish has been designated as the most historic site in Colleton County. St. Bartholomew's Parish has deep roots, having been established by the Colonial Assembly in 1706. Though nearly destroyed by the Yemassee Indian uprising of 1715, the Parish recovered, establishing Pon Pon Chapel in 1725. The Rev. John Wesley preached at Pon Pon in 1737 during a visit to Colonial Carolina. After being burned twice, the last time in 1832 and was never rebuilt. It has since been known as the "Old Burnt Church."
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2008, by Tracy Davis of Northfield, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 2,889 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 13, 2008, by Tracy Davis of Northfield, Minnesota. 2. submitted on May 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2008, by Tracy Davis of Northfield, Minnesota. 6. submitted on May 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.