Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Missionary Ridge Trolley
Missionary Ridge History
The Missionary Ridge Trolley allowed Missionary Ridge to grow after the Civil War. The addition of the trolley brought new homes, a school. fire hall, and small stores - even a city was formed in 1923.
In February 1887, George M. Sherwood, a resident of the Ridge, incorporated the Mission Ridge Incline Railway. This line incorporated a switchback near Shallowford Road to allow the trolley to attack the steep grade of Birds Mill Road. Seven stops were on this line from its start at Ridgedale to McCallie Avenue, Indian Springs, Shallow Ford, Crescent Hill, Bragg's Headquarters, and finally, Thurman Springs. The trolley made eight daily trips along the seven stops. The three mile trip took seventeen minutes to complete.
In 1889, the controlling interest in the Mission Ridge Incline Railway was purchased by the Chattanooga Electric Street Railroad Company (CESRC) that electrified the trolley.
The same year, CESRC absorbed the horse-drawn trolley line, the City Street Railroad Company, and renamed itself the Chattanooga Electric Railway Company in 1891.
In 1909, E.W. Clark & Company, a Philadelphia-based business purchased the controlling
In 1912, the company replaced the dangerous switchback with a sweeping horseshoe curve (see map) that allowed through-cars to travel from Chattanooga to Missionary Ridge.
All trolley rides were only a nickel, but for an extra dime, riders could enjoy limited-stop service, revolving single seats, electric fans, plush white carpet, and a fold-out card table to the rear of the car.
Missionary Ridge trolley service ended in 1945.
Erected by Missionary Ridge Neighborhood Association.
Location. 35° 1.788′ N, 85° 15.442′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Crest Road and Birds Mill Road, on the right when traveling south on South Crest Road. Click for map. This historical marker is located along the western crest of Missionary Ridge, in a small public park, situated almost directly over the McCallie Avenue Tunnel, between the Ohio Reservation and the Turchin Reservation (much closer to the Ohio Reservation). Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers 93rd Ohio Infantry (here, next to this marker); Missionary Ridge Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Ohio Infantry. (within shouting distance of this marker); 41st Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 124th Ohio Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); T. J. Wood's Division. (about 400 feet away); 4th Ohio Cavalry (Battalion) (about 600 feet away); 18th Ohio Infantry (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Chattanooga.
Also see . . .
1. Markers highlight old school, trolley on Chattanooga's Missionary Ridge. This is a link to information provided by the Chattanooga Times Free Press. (Submitted on May 8, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Missionary Ridge Neighborhood Association. This is a link to information provided by the Missionary Ridge Neighborhood Association. (Submitted on May 8, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8, 9. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.