“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prattville in Autauga County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Saint Mark's Episcopal Church

Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 17, 2013
1. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. Saint Mark's was organized in 1859 as a mission of the Diocese of Alabama. Services were first held at the Presbyterian Church and in the old Court House. In December 1876, the congregation purchased an old wooden frame chapel from the Methodists and moved it to this site, where it was dedicated by Bishop Richard H. Wilmer on April 29, 1877. The baptismal font, pews, and church bell survive from that chapel. The present church building was completed in June 1909. The first service held in this structure was Morning Prayer on June 27. The first celebration of Holy Communion took place on July 25. The church was formally dedicated by Bishop Charles M. Beckwith on October 17. The small parish house west of the nave was built in 1953 and enlarged in 1966 and 1984. It is named in honor of the Chapman family. Miss Erin Chapman was credited with designing the 1909 building at the age of fifteen, and served as parish organist for more than forty years. The Fellowship Hall and Parish Education wing were dedicated by Bishop Robert O. Miller on April 14, 1996.

Location. 32° 27.756′ N, 86° 28.194′ W. Marker is in Prattville, Alabama, in Autauga County. Marker is at the intersection of East 4th Street and South Washington
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 17, 2013
2. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Street, on the right when traveling east on East 4th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 178 East 4th Street, Prattville AL 36067, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Prattville Dragoons (within shouting distance of this marker); Sidney Lanier (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sidney Lanier/Prattville Male and Female Academy Site (about 500 feet away); Daniel Pratt/First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Prattville, Alabama / Original Members (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mulbry Grove Cottage (approx. mile away); A County Older Than the State, Autauga County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Autauga County Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Prattville.
Also see . . .  A Brief History of St. Mark's. (Submitted on December 18, 2013.)
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Church on the NRHP image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 17, 2013
3. Church on the NRHP
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement