Haines in Haines Borough, Alaska — The American West (Northwest)
Fort William H. Seward
A National Historic Landmark
(Inscription under the photo on the bottom left) :
Continuing up the hill on the right side, you will pass the long white quartermaster supply building, where furnishings and basic supplies were distributed. The cold storage room was located in the basement. In the 1960ís a large walk-in cooler served as a temporary morgue when the Haines facility closed.
(Inscription under the photo in the bottom center) : 1930
Up the dock on the right side, the small red building housed an underwater communication cable linking Haines to the continental U.S. Messages were commonly sent in Morse code.
(Inscription under the photo in the upper right):
The Port of Chilkoot dock is the original Army dock. Notice the pullout for mule wagons to pass each other midway down the right side. Mules played an important role both in the construction of the Fort and as a mode of transportation.
Erected by The City of Haines.
Location. 59° 13.709′ N, 135° 26.387′ W. Marker is in Haines, Alaska, in Haines Borough. Marker is on Beach Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Haines AK 99827, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Founders of Port Chilkoot (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Fort William H. Seward. The National Park Service's page for Fort Seward. (Submitted on January 3, 2014.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. 5. submitted on . • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.