“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colwood in Capital Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific

Fisgard Lighthouse

Le Phare Fisgard

Fisgard Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Lester, June 25, 2013
1. Fisgard Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. The first permanent lighthouse on the Pacific coast of Canada, Fisgard was erected in 1859-60 by the British and Colonial Governments to guide mariners into Esquimalt Harbour. Brought from England with the first lightkeeper, the lantern became operational on November 16, 1860, and in 1928 it was made automatic. Captain G. H. Richards, R. N., recommended this site on the island names for H.M.S. FISGARD, on station in the Pacific from 1844 to 1847.

Ce phare fut le premier permanent sur la côte ouest du Canada. Il fut importé d'Angleterre et installé en 1859-1860 par les autorités britanniques et coloniales pour guider les marins dans le port d'Esquimalt. Il fut mis en service le 16 novembre 1860 et automatisé en 1928. Le capitaine G. H. Richards recommanda de le placer sur l'île Fisgard, nommé d'après le navire qui a été en station dans le Pacifique de 1844 à 1847.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 48° 25.82′ N, 123° 26.87′ W. Marker is in Colwood, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colwood, British Columbia V9C 2W8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harbour Mouth Defences / Défense de l'entrée du port
Fisgard Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Lester, June 25, 2013
2. Fisgard Lighthouse
(about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); Searchlight Emplacement / Emplacement de projecteur (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Canteen / Cantine (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Upper Battery / Batterie supérieure (approx. half a kilometer away); The Guardhouse / Corps de garde (approx. half a kilometer away); Gun Emplacement / Emplacement du canon (approx. half a kilometer away); Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Site (approx. half a kilometer away); Upper, Lower, Belmont Batteries (approx. half a kilometer away).
Also see . . .  Fisgard Lighthouse Historical Site. The Lighthouse's web site. (Submitted on December 22, 2013.) 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Lester of Victoria, BC, Canada. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Lester of Victoria, BC, Canada. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement