San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Post San Marcos
Adj. Gen. Hugh McLeod (1814-62) laid out the fort, to be garrisoned by a company of 56 men. Capt. Joseph Wiehl's Co. H, 1st Inf. Regt., in Oct. 1840 completed the road and the fort. In 1841 the Republic of Texas army disbanded for lack of funding, and the post was closed.
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10311.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 29° 53.576′ N, 97° 55.84′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker can be reached from Aquarena Springs Drive south of West Laurel Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Behind the Visitor Center, Meadows Center Glass-bottom Boat Tours (formerly Aquarena Center). Marker is at or near this postal address: 951 Aquarena Springs Drive, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. San Marcos Springs (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Calaboose (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of Coronal Institute (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wonder Cave (approx. 1.9 miles away); McGehee Crossing (approx. 2.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. 3 miles away); Site of the First Town of San Marcos (approx. 3.2 miles away); Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Marcos.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Hispanic Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 28 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?