Chandler in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Historic A. J. Chandler Park / The Chandler District Honor Roll
Originally, Arizona Avenue curved around the central park, running one direction of traffic around the west side of the park, and another around the east side of the park. In 1940, the Town Council approved a plan to expand Arizona Avenue as a state highway. As a result, the central park was divided in half for the new highway, in order to improve safety and accommodate the increase in traffic. Local residents and Dr. Chandler did not like the change, but ultimately accepted it because the highway brought in more travelers and business.
During World War II the city installed an “Honor Roll” billboard in the park to honor the men and women who were serving in the military. By the end of the war, over 700 names were displayed on the billboard, including
In the parkís later years, the landscape included vibrant displays of annual flowers, holiday decorations, and a display of a F86-D fighter jet similar to those used at the Williams Air Force Base. Since 1957, the Tumbleweed Tree has attracted admirers to the park every December. In 1986, the City remodeled the park to its current design and layout.
"Their Hometown Will Not Forget Them"
United We Stand
(Listing of Names)
As the U.S. began sending troops to the faraway battlefields of World War II, Chandler citizens and the American Legion decided to create a physical reminder of the men and women in their community serving the country. They chose to construct a large sign that would list individuals from Chandler, Goodyear, (now Ocotillo), Higley, Queen Creek, and Chandler Heights.
With money raised from the community, the American Legion hired Pedro Guerrero, a Mesa sign designer, to create the Chandler District Honor Roll. In only ten days, Guerrero and others built a monumental wooden sign 16 feet high and 30 feet wide, which stood in the southeast section of the park. Dedicated on May 30,
After the war, veterans requested a permanent memorial to replace the Honor Roll board. On Memorial Day in 1949, the American Legion dedicated a stone monument with a bronze plaque reading, “Dedicated to those of the Chandler Community who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States so that peace, freedom, and justice might not perish from the earth”. Today that memorial is located on the east side of A. J. Chandler Park.
Location. 33° 18.145′ N, 111° 50.519′ W. Marker is in Chandler, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is at the intersection of West Boston Street (Arizona Route 87) and South San Marcos Place, on the right when traveling west on West Boston Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 South Marcos Place, Chandler AZ 85225, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anderson Building (a few steps from this marker); Hotel Chandler (a few steps from this marker); Dougherty Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Price Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Morrison Grocery Monroe Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Chandler (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. A. J. Chandler (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Chandler.
Also see . . . Historic Downtown Chandler Self Guided Walking Tour. Scroll to Stop #2 for additionl information on the A. J. Chandler Park. Editors Note: This should be numbered 3. (Submitted on December 31, 2013.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Places • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the 1949 Veteran's Memorial. • Can you help?