Derry-Londonderry in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
A night at Talbot's theatre
Actor/manager Michael Atkins opened the city's first purpose-built theatre at the top of Artillery Street in 1774. It soon became the fashionable place to be seen especially at grand social occasions when the Assize judges were in town. Dashing young military officers scanned the audience to pick out the belles. By 1830, however, polite society had deserted the theatre on the grounds that audiences were rowdy and made up of 'the lower orders'. The building was converted into a Presbyterian Church.
Theatre returned to Artillery Street in 1992 with the opening of the award-winning Playhouse community arts centre. The Playhouse captured the spirit of Field Day's creative response to the Troubles through theatre and poetry. Playwright Brian Friel and actor Stephen Rea founded the Field Day Theatre Company in 1980.
'Ring a ring a roses'
The Playhouse was created from two primary schools. A former pupil recalled her first days at school: There were high windows through which one could only see the sky and fat snaky radiators. The whole building was polished to within an inch of its life. Every surface gleamed. The parquet floors were like skating rinks and the stairs perilous and slippery. In 1994 the Playhouse invited 1500 local
A shirt on his back
Around 1780 young apprentice William Scott used to walk up Artillery Street every day to his job in Mr Gilmour's linen weaving firm. Aged 60 he spotted a growing fashion for cotton shirts with embroidered linen fronts. By the time he retired aged 85, the founder of the city's shirtmaking industry was employing over 250 weavers and 500 home workers.
Location. 54° 59.643′ N, 7° 19.248′ W. Marker is in Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in County Londonderry. Click for map. Marker is on the City Wall walking path, just east of London Street/New Gate. Marker is in this post office area: Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland BT48 6RG, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Demi-culverin Cannon (here, next to this marker); New Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferryquay Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); The Walled City (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Ferryquay Gate (about 90 meters away); St Columb's Cathedral (about 120 meters away); a different marker also named Demi-culverin Cannon (about 120 meters away); Newgate Bastion (about 120 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Derry-Londonderry.
Also see . . .
1. Derry's Walls. (Submitted on January 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Derry-Londonderry, Ireland. (Submitted on January 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. The Playhouse, Derry. (Submitted on January 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.