Danbury in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Savings Bank of Danbury at Bankers’ Row
– The Museum in the Streets –
—Danbury, Connecticut —
An important aspect of Danbury’s growth as a regional center was the proliferation of banks.
The Savings Bank of Danbury began conducting business in 1849 when George W. Ives set up shop in the Ives homestead on Main Street. As noted by James M. Bailey in his book, The History of Danbury, “A desk in the dining room was the safe and in the absence of the Treasurer, Mrs. Ives received deposits and attended to the business of the bank.”
In 1852, Ives built a small structure on the corner of his property to serve the needs of the bank customers. The main branch of the Savings Bank of Danbury on Main Street was built in 1909, not far from its original location. When George W. Ives died in 1863, every business on Main Street closed down to attend his funeral.
The Union Savings Bank was incorporated by Danbury hat manufacturers and merchants in 1866 and has been located on Main Street since 1887. On the third floor a hall that could seat 500 people was once utilized by the YMCA and later by Danbury High School during the 1890s. It is the only one of the banks, in what was once known as ‘Bankers’ Row, ‘ whose interior had to be modernized after the offices were damaged in a 1970 robbery conducted by the Pardue Brothers.
These landmark institutions have ensured steady growth in the region through
Erected by Danbury Museum & Historical Society. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 41° 23.671′ N, 73° 27.158′ W. Marker is in Danbury, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Chapel Place, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Located in front of the Savings Bank of Danbury. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 Main Street, Danbury CT 06810, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Danbury – The Hat City (within shouting distance of this marker); Kenosia & Candlewood (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seal of the City (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marian Anderson (about 300 feet away); 248 Main Street (about 300 feet away); Charles Edward Ives – The Father of Modern Music (about 400 feet away); The Settling of Danbury (about 400 feet away); Danbury Women of Note (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Danbury.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. 4. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.