Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Camp Del Rio
In 1880 the San Felipe Agricultural, Manufacturing and Irrigation Company donated land at this site to the United States Government for use as a military reservation. Since the original shareholders of the firm had founded the town of Del Rio, the camp name was changed. The grounds here included officers' quarters, a hospital, bakery, quartermaster's storehouse, and barracks. Later, when it was discovered some of the structures had been built on private property, additional land was leased from the owners.
Indians raids in the area had ended by 1890 and the troops were moved to other posts. Camp Del Rio was officially abandoned the next year and the land was later transferred back to the original owners.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4742.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S. Army Camel Corps (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Val Verde County Courthouse Square (approx. 0.9 miles away); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (approx. one mile away); Operation Brass Knob (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Carter Family In Del Rio (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Perry Building (approx. 1.4 miles away); Seminole-Negro Scouts (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Del Rio.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?