“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Montgomery's Slave Depots/Montgomery's Slave Traders

Montgomery's Slave Depots Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
1. Montgomery's Slave Depots Marker
Inscription. (side 1)
Montgomery's Slave Depots

Montgomery slave traders operated depots where enslaved men, women, and children were confined. The slave depots functioned as active trading sites and as detention facilities where the enslaved were held captive until they were auctioned at Court Square. The city had four major slave depots. Three of the depots lined Market Street (now Dexter Avenue) between Lawrence and McDonough and were owned by Mason Harwell, S.N. Brown, and E. Barnard & Co. In 1859, Montgomery had as many slave depots as it did hotels and banks. The slave trade continued to thrive in Montgomery even during the Civil War. As late as 1864, Thomas L. Frazer opened a new slave depot on this block and sold boys and girls "of all descriptions."

(side 2)
Montgomery's Slave Traders

Vast plantations with large slave populations emerged in Alabama's Black Belt beginning in 1820. Montgomery's proximity to the Black Belt made the city a center for slave trading in Alabama. From the river, down Commerce Street and to this block, slave traders worked next door to shop owners and other business establishments. E. Barnard & Co. operated at 88 Commerce Street. Mason Harwell, one of Montgomery's most active slave traders, kept an office at 21 Market Street (now Dexter Avenue).
Montgomery's Slave Traders Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
2. Montgomery's Slave Traders Marker
On a single day, Harwell sold hundreds of enslaved men, women, and children, alongside livestock. Across the South, slave traders were generally among the wealthiest and most influential citizens in their communities.
Erected 2013 by the Black Heritage Council, Equal Justice Initiative and the Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 22.717′ N, 86° 18.367′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Monroe Street and North Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling east on Monroe Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 248 Monroe Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The E. L. Posey Parking Lot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montgomery City Hall / Funeral for Hank Williams (about 400 feet away); The Capital City Guards (about 500 feet away); Montgomery Theatre (about 500 feet away); The Montgomery Theater (about 500 feet away); Elijah Cook / City of Montgomery v. Rosa Parks (about 500 feet away); Bernard Whitehurst and the Whitehurst Case / Montgomery: Learning From the Past
Montgomery's Slave Depots/Montgomery's Slave Traders Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
3. Montgomery's Slave Depots/Montgomery's Slave Traders Area
(about 500 feet away); St. John's Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Montgomery.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .  EJI releases report on slavery in America and dedicates slave markers in Montgomery. (Submitted on January 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. African AmericansIndustry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement