HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Bogota in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“Achter Col” Colony
 
"Achter Col" Colony Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 15, 2008
1. "Achter Col" Colony Marker
 
Inscription. In 1642, when this area was part of New Netherland, Johannes Winckelman built near here a ninety-foot long fur trading post and farmhouse – a building which sheltered both settlers and cattle. During the 1643 Indian war it was protected by five Dutch soldiers but on the night of September 17, 1643, it was attacked and burned to the ground by the Hackensack and Tappan Indians. This section of Bogota was known as “Winkelman” for many years.

Sponsored by Ralph H. Hall Post No. 5561, V.F.W. and Ladies’ Aux. 1974
 
Erected 1974 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 52.625′ N, 74° 2.015′ W. Marker is in Bogota, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of West Fort Lee Road and River Road, on the left when traveling west on West Fort Lee Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bogota NJ 07603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S.S. Ling (approx. 0.4 miles away); Talos SAM-N-6 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Underwater MK16 Mine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Terrier SAM-N-7 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Submariners Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); USS Gudgeon (SS-211) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Still on Patrol (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bofor 40 MM Auto Cannon (approx. 0.4 miles away).
 
Marker at Achter Col Veterans Park Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 15, 2008
2. Marker at Achter Col Veterans Park
This is the location of the second oldest known colony in Bergen County, NJ.
 

 
Also see . . .  Bergen County Historical Society Historic Site Markers. (Submitted on April 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,381 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 406 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.