“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Catonsville in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Baltimore Regional Trail

A House Divided

Baltimore Regional Trail A House Divided Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, 08-19-2007
1. Baltimore Regional Trail A House Divided Marker
Inscription. During the Civil War, Baltimore and its environs exemplified the divided loyalties of Marylandís residents. The city had commercial ties to the South as well as the North, and its secessionist sympathies erupted in violence on April 19, 1861, when pro-Confederate mobs attacked Massachusetts troops en route to Washington, D.C. Because of Baltimoreís strategic importance, President Abraham Lincoln acted swiftly, stationing Federal troops in the city and jailing civilians suspected of disloyalty. Some area residents joined the Confederate army, but many others supported the Union. After the Emancipation Proclamation permitted African-American enlistment in 1863, U.S. Colored Troops regiments were recruited and trained in Baltimore and the vicinity. Naval vessels, such as USS Constellation, supported the Union war effort on the Chesapeake Bay and the high seas, countering the flow of contraband goods to the Confederacy. In 1863, during Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Earlyís attack on the Washington defenses, Maj. Harry Gilmorís cavalry threatened Baltimore, burned nearby bridges, and raided supplies. Throughout the war, the city served as a hospital and prisoner-of-war assembly center. Political prisoners were detained at Fort McHenry, home of the “Star-Spangled Banner.” Despite the cityís divided loyalties, Baltimore remained a Union stronghold until the end of the war.

Please drive carefully as you enjoy the Baltimore Regional Civil War Trail and other Civil War Trail sites throughout Maryland.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 16.208′ N, 76° 44.442′ W. Marker is in Catonsville, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Frederick Road (Maryland Route 144) and Osborne Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Catonsville MD 21228, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Castle Thunder (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rolling Road (approx. ľ mile away); The Streetcar Era in Catonsville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Catonsville (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Catonsville (approx. 0.4 miles away); This Memorial is Dedicated to all the Men and Women of the Catonsville area (approx. half a mile away); 6-Mile Marker on the National Road (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Salem Church and Graveyard (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Catonsville.
More about this marker. A marker with the same wording is located just across the county line in Ellicott City, Howard County, MD.
Also see . . .  Civil War Traveler Tour of the Baltimore Region. Detailed information about the tour referenced on the marker. (Submitted on August 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,423 times since then and 60 times this year. Last updated on , by Pete Skillman of Catonsville, Maryland. Photo   1. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement