New Hope in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Vienna (New Hope)
Originally known as Cloud's Town, this community was incorporated in 1832 as Vienna. It prospered as a market town before the Civil War. On May 29, 1864, the 12th Indiana Cavalry, commanded by Lt. Col. Alfred Reed, seized the town. They built a stockade and named it for General Peter J. Osterhaus. The hit-and-run tactics of Confederate Col. Lemuel Mead and Lt. Col. Milus E. (Bushwhacker) Johnston caused Union officers to retaliate by burning Vienna to the ground on December 15, 1864. Only the Masonic Lodge and the Post Office/Tavern remained. By 1883, Vienna was back to is pre-war size and was reincorporated as New Hope.
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 32.192′ N, 86° 23.665′ W. Marker is in New Hope, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Main Drive (Old Highway 431) south of Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located next to the New Hope Town Hall and Library in a small city park/memorial garden. Marker is in this post office area: New Hope AL 35760, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walnut Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Whitaker Cemetery Grant, Alabama: A Scenic Mountain Town (approx. 8 miles away); Pennsylvania Bell Tower (approx. 8.1 miles away); Becker Hall (approx. 8.1 miles away); Kate Duncan Smith - Daughters of the American Revolution School (approx. 8.1 miles away); Decatur County (approx. 8.8 miles away); Cathedral Caverns (approx. 9.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Hope.
1. Civil War action in Vienna
"The next 12th Cavalry skirmish of which there is record occurred on July 8, 1864 near Vienna, Alabama involving mostly "B" and "C" companies. This report is from Lieut. Col. Alfred Reed, commanding a detachment of Twelfth Indiana Cavalry at Vienna to Col. Edward Anderson at Huntsville: "The detachment under my command yesterday morning separated about 5 miles north of Owen's Mills, on Flint River, Company C going east to J.C. Drake's, who is father to three of Johnson's gang; thence we went south to Vienna; the other company (B) was ordered to make Vienna via Owen's Mills. About three miles
Excerpt from Ohio State University "The History Of the 12th Indiana Cavalry."
— Submitted July 9, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.