Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Gowdy Community

 
 
The Gowdy Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cleo Robertson, January 19, 2014
1. The Gowdy Community Marker
Inscription. The Gowdy community was first settled prior to 1903. Named for Mr. W.B. Gowdy, former president of the Delta Cotton Oil and Fertilizer Plant. This African American community was awarded its own U.S. postal stop in 1915. The Gowdy community is located along the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad and west of Terry Road, and is bordered by Lynch, Hattiesburg, and Dansby Streets. The community encompasses the areas known as Washington Addition, Jackson College Addition, and Washington Annex.
 
Erected 2010 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 32° 17.848′ N, 90° 12.959′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is at the intersection of John R. Lynch Street and Valley Street, on the right when traveling east on John R. Lynch Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Valley Street, Jackson MS 39203, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ishmon Bracey (approx. half a mile away); Noel House (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. Marks Episcopal Church
The Gowdy Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cleo Robertson, January 19, 2014
2. The Gowdy Community Marker
Looking eastward toward the sign and Jackson State University in the distance.
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Scott Radio Service Company (approx. 1.4 miles away); Edwards Hotel (approx. 1.5 miles away); 217 W. Capitol (approx. 1.5 miles away); Otis Spann & Little Johnnie Jones (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
Also see . . .
1. West Jackson: Gowdy. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
2. Mississippi Digital Library: Inventory of the Gowdy Oral History Collection. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
3. From Gowdy to Washington Addition and Beyond (pdf file). "From Gowdy to Washington Addition and Beyond: History and the JSU led Redevelopment Efforts" by Garrad Lee, Masterís Degree Candidate, Department of History Jackson State University. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Origin of Gowdy
The community that was once known as Gowdy was formed by black settlers in the early 20th century and is located near Jackson State University in
The Gowdy Community Aerial Map image. Click for full size.
By Cleo Robertson
3. The Gowdy Community Aerial Map
Area of the Gowdy Community, with the portion of the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad, incorporated February 17, 1882, shown by the red line. The Y&MV RR operated as part of the Illinois Central until it was officially merged into the IC in 1946. Marker location is shown by the yellow triangle.
the Washington Addition neighborhood. Gowdy was laid out in a square and its streets were named for black leaders and U.S. presidents. Many early residents were skilled in carpentry, masonry, music, nursing and teaching. In fact, many of Jackson State's early faculty members and students lived in Gowdy.
    — Submitted January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

 
Categories. African AmericansIndustry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement