Pintlala in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Board of Education members in 1923 were Jesse B. Hearin (Chairman), P.M. McIntyre, Simon Gassenheimer, Dr. William Tankersley, and J.M. Hobbie. 80-acre site purchased through contributions of local citizens. Original principal Ben. S. Copeland succeeded in 1926 by Lee R. Scarborough, who served for forty years. Junior High School discontinued in 1970. Visited by President George Bush in 1991 and 1992. School placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on April 14, 1992. Marker erected through generosity of alumni and efforts of Pintlala Historical Association.
Erected 1994 by the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 10.581′ N, 86° 22.29′ W. Marker is in Pintlala, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Federal Road (County Route 24) 0.3 miles from Mobile Highway (U.S. 31), on the left when traveling west. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Road, 1805, (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bethel Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tankersley Rosenwald School (approx. 2.5 miles away); Abner McGehee / Early Alabama Entrepreneur (approx. 5.6 miles away); Teague Road (approx. 7.1 miles away); Lynching in America / Lynching in Letohatchee (approx. 7.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pintlala.
Also see . . . History of Marker Placement (pdf). (Submitted on January 21, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.