Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Civil War Defenses
The Confederate defenses consisted of infantry trenches on the lower slopes and gun pits for supporting artillery near the top of the hills. These nearby earthworks represent the far left of the Confederate line at Fredericksburg. During the ensuing battle, the troops in this area were subjected to occasional artillery fire from across the river. As Wilcox described the experience: “Many shot and shell were thrown in the woods occupied by my men.”
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 18.984′ N, 77° 29.165′ W. Marker was in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker could be reached from Fall Hill Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at the northern entry point of the Old Canal Pathway. Marker was in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Confederate Defenses in December 1862 (here, next to this marker); Confederate and Federal Defenses in May 1863 (a few steps from this marker); A Once Promising Canal Becomes a Raceway (within shouting distance of this marker); Rappahannock River Heritage Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Embrey Dam (approx. 0.4 miles away); Falls of the Rappahannock River (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Rappahannock River Runs Free Once More (approx. 0.4 miles away); Amoroleck Encounters John Smith (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. In the lower center of the marker is an overhead picture of the Fall Hill area. “Many of the trenches and gun pits dug by Confederate defenders are still visible.”
In the lower left of the marker is an overhead map of the Hill area. “In this 1880s map, Wilcox’s brigade is shown at the far left of the Confederate line. His after action report, however, makes it clear that his Alabamians occupied a position that extended from the river, across the road to the heights in front of you. The house labeled “Dr. Taylor” is Fall Hill.”
In the upper right of the marker is a portrait of Brigadier Wilcox. “Cadmus M. Wilcox was a North Carolinian who
This marker was replaced by a new one named Confederate Defenses in December 1862 (see nearby markers).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,303 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016.