“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Weatherford in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Franco-Texan Land Company Building

Franco-Texan Land Company Building Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, January 19, 2014
1. Franco-Texan Land Company Building Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. In the late 19th century, this building was a center for political and economic life for the town of Weatherford and for Parker County. It was built around 1870. James Robertson Couts and John A. Fain established the first bank west of Dallas in this building, after Couts made a fortune selling cattle out west. Couts operated the bank with several partners, including Henry Warren, until 1877. Warren, a freighting contractor and thoroughbred stockbreeder, had previously been associated with the Warren Freight Train Massacre of 1871.

Couts and Warren dissolved their professional relationship in 1877 and sold the building to Samuel Willis Tucker Lanham, later governor of Texas (1903-1907). Lanham practiced law with other attorneys, such as A.J. Hood Sr., in second story offices. During the 1890s, the structure served as the offices for the troubled Franco-Texan Land Company, headed by Hood. The company was integral in the development of Texas land between Weatherford and El Paso along the Texas and Pacific Railway corridor. During this period the safe, from the Fidelity and Safe Deposit Company, was installed at the rear of the building. S.W.T. Lanham sold the property in 1906 to William Boone.

The Franco-Texan Land Company Building, previously known as the Couts Building and the Western Union Building, is an example
Franco-Texan Land Company Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, January 19, 2014
2. Franco-Texan Land Company Building and Marker
of a typical vernacular storefront commercial building found in Texas during the last quarter of the 19th century. The two-story masonry fronted building features a brick exterior, stone string courses, french doors with fanlight transoms, and double-hung windows.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 2012
Marker is property of the State of Texas

Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17253.)
Location. 32° 45.492′ N, 97° 47.892′ W. Marker is in Weatherford, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is at the intersection of Houston Street and West Church Street, on the left when traveling north on Houston Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 Houston St, Weatherford TX 76086, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Parker County, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Claude Wright House (about 400 feet away); The Dean of Texas Trail Drivers Oliver Loving (1812 - 1867) (approx. half a mile away); Old City Greenwood Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); August 17, 1945 B-29 Crash (approx. 1.3 miles away); Grace First Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Clark Cemetery (approx. 7.7 miles away); Bankhead Highway in Aledo (approx. 11.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Weatherford.
Also see . . .  Downtown building unveils historic marker. Weatherford Democrat 7/7/13 (Submitted on January 28, 2014.) 
Additional keywords. RTHL
Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement