Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge

Mississippi Blues Trail Marker

 
 
Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, December 2, 2011
1. Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge Marker
Inscription. During the era of segregation, traveling African Americans had few options for lodging. In Jackson, many black musicians stayed at the Summers Hotel, established in 1944 by W.J. Summers. In 1966 Summers opened a club in the hotel basement that he called the Subway Lounge. The Subway was a regular jazz venue and offered popular late night blues shows from the mid-1980s until the hotel’s demolition in 2004.

(Back):
During the segregated 1940s, ’50s, and ’60s, the two main Jackson hotels open to African Americans were the Edward Lee Hotel on Church Street and the Summers Hotel. The Summers Hotel, originally the Maples, a rooming house for whites, stood here at 619 W. Pearl Street. The building was remodeled and renamed the Summers Hotel in 1943 after its purchase by W. J. Summers (1897-1977), a prominent African American businessman, who ran the hotel with his wife Elma. The hotel was popular among touring musicians, including James Brown, Hank Ballard, and Nat "King" Cole.

In 1966 Summers enlisted Jimmy King—vocalist, bandleader, and high school teacher—to run a newly constructed basement lounge, which King dubbed the Subway. In the ’60s and ’70s the Subway Lounge featured mostly jazz performers, including King, brothers Kermit, Jr., Sherrill, and Bernard Holly, and organist Levon Mitchell, as
Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, December 2, 2011
2. Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge Marker
well as various touring or area groups.

In 1969 King left the Subway to start his own club but returned in 1986, when he and his wife Helen revived it as a late-night blues venue, with music starting at midnight. Guitarist Jesse Robinson led the initial house band, the Knee Deep Band, which was followed by the House Rockers, fronted by singers Levon Lindsey and Abdul Rasheed, and the King Edward (Antoine) Blues Band. Knee Deep Band vocalist Walter Lee "Big Daddy" Hood was billed as "500 Pounds of Blues." Other Jackson artists who performed at the Subway included Eddie Cotton, Jr., Bobby Rush, Patrice Moncell, Eddie Rasberry, Sam Myers, J. T. Watkins, Pat Brown, Dennis Fountain, Dwight Ross, Greg "Fingers" Taylor, Thomas "Snake" Johnson, Vasti Jackson, Bill Sampson, and the Juvenators.

In April 2002 director Robert Mugge filmed performances at the Subway Lounge for the documentary Last of the Mississippi Jukes, which was released in early 2003. The documentary addressed the Subway’s history and its diverse clientele, as well as efforts to save the club despite the building’s serious structural problems. The efforts failed, and the Subway closed following a final performance in April 2003. The building was demolished in 2004.
 
Erected 2009 by Mississippi Blues Commission.
 
Marker series.
Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cleo Robertson, January 19, 2014
3. Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge Marker
This marker is included in the Mississippi Blues Trail marker series.
 
Location. 32° 17.995′ N, 90° 11.797′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is on West Pearl Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson MS 39203, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Marks Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scott Radio Service Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Edwards Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Noel House (approx. 0.4 miles away); 217 W. Capitol (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ace Records (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trumpet Records (approx. half a mile away); Otis Spann & Little Johnnie Jones (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
Also see . . .
1. An "Update" for Robert Mugge's film "Last of the Mississippi Jukes" (video). Includes footage of the building coming down. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.) 

2. Mississippi Blues Trail: Subway Lounge - Jackson. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
3. Wikipedia: Summers Hotel and Subway Lounge. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
4. Em's on the Road: The Subway Lounge. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, about 2004
4. Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge
Before being demolished in 2004.

5. Last of the Mississippi Jukes. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
 
Categories. African AmericansEntertainment
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 689 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on , by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi.   3, 4. submitted on , by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement